This past Wednesday morning, when my roommate asked me why I was pouring Garnier Fructis into one of her cooking pots, I had one word for her: shamboiling. As it’s known to some Mid-Atlantic middle schoolers and their very concerned parents, shamboiling is exactly what the portamenteau suggests–boiling shampoo and inhaling the fumes. Why would someone do this, you ask? Well, according to a cautionary mass mailing sent to Richmond, Virginia parents, shampoo has some little known hallucinogenic effects.
The active ingredient in shampoo is ammonium lauryl sulfate, and according to middle school officials, kids sniffing their hair products will get to experience hearing loss, limb spasms, and possibly pneumonia. According to actual middle schoolers, you can see tigers in the walls and shit. You be the judge on who to trust.
The strength of the high depends on the type of shampoo used. It’s not on Erowid, so no advice just yet on which ones will yield the best results. But for what it’s worth, the Garnier Fructis wasn’t all that successful. Maybe I’ll head to CVS this afternoon and pick up some L’Oreal… Because Lord knows, I’m worth it.
For the love of all things holy, please don’t shamboil. Stand up to peer pressure and just make do with getting high on life. While you’re doing so, it would help to rock this Drug War Veteran gear from RockSmith.